snow

Saturday, July 18, 2020

I wonder by my troth, what thou, and I Did, till we lov’d? were we not wean’d till then?

MEG – 01: British Poetry
ASSIGNMENT 2019 - 2020
(Based on Blocks (1 - 9)

                                                                          Max. Marks: 100
I wonder by my troth, what thou, and I
Did, till we lov’d? were we not wean’d till then?


Answer. These lines are from John Donne’s poem ‘The Good-Morrow’. ‘The Good- Morrow’, published in Donne’s 1633 collection Songs and Sonnets, is written from the point of view of an awaking lover and describes the lover’s thoughts as he wakes next to his partner.
These are the opening lines of the poem. It has a reference to a Catholic legend. It also refers to the Seven Sleepers, the Catholic legend of seven Christian children, persecuted for their faith during the reign of the Roman emperor Decius, who fled to the shelter of a cave where they slept for more than 200 years. Donne, one of six or seven children and a baptized Catholic during a time of strong anti-Catholic sentiment from both the populace and the government, would certainly have been familiar with the story.

(For the complete answer and also the full set of answers of 1st and 2nd year MEG  assignments/study notes mail me : ignousolvedassignmentz@gmail.com, you may also call or Whatsapp me to get instant reply: +919947147185)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.