snow

Monday, January 27, 2014

will / be going to for prediction

Use:

Both be going to and will can be used to predict future events. In many cases they can be used interchangeably. 
Experts believe that the recession will continue.
Experts believe that the recession is going to continue.
However, in some cases they are used differently:
  • Use going to when there is evidence about what is going to happen.
Look at the time! We’re going to be late!
  • Use will / won’t when guessing about the future.
I bet Robin will be late again.
  • Will is often used with phrases such as I think…, I expect…, I don’t think…I bet… , I’m sure…, I doubt if/that…  when making predictions
  • It is more common to use I don’t think + will, not I think + won’t
I think it won’t rain => I don’t think it will rain

Form:

be going to
Positive
I
am / ‘m
going to
verb (infinitive form)
you / we / they
are / ‘re
he / she / it
is / ‘s
Negative
I
‘m not
going  to
verb (infinitive form)
you
aren’t    OR   ‘re not
he / she / it
isn’t      OR     ‘s not

Questions
Am
I
going  to
verb (infinitive form) ?
Are
you / we / they
Is
he / she / it
Short Answers

Yes,
I am.
No,
I’m not.
you / we / they are.
you / we / they    ‘re not / aren’t
he / she / it is.
he / she / it ‘s not / isn’t
will
Positive / Negative

I / You / He / She / It  / We / They
will
verb (infinitive form).
won’t

Will
I / you / he / she / it  / we / they /
verb (infinitive form)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.