snow

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Reported Speech

Use:

Use reported speech to talk about what another person said in the past.
Eve:                       ‘I went to the party on Friday night’.
James:                  ‘Eve said that she had gone to the party on Friday night’.
                
Form:
1) When reporting speech, the verb in the sentence may shift to a past tense.
am / is / arechanges towas / were
I am fine.”  She said that she was fine.
present simplechanges topast simple
I like it. He said he liked it.
present continuouschanges topast continuous
She’s sleeping. He said that she was sleeping.
willchanges towould
I’ll be there.”  You said that you’d be there.
canchanges tocould
I can come to the meeting.”  You said that you could come to the meeting.
past simplechanges topast perfect
I did the shopping. Tom said that he had done the shopping.
present perfectchanges topast perfect
I’ve read that book. I told him that I’d read the book.
past continuouschanges topast perfect continuous
She was walking home alone.”  He said that she had been walking home alone.
present perfect continuouschanges topast perfect continuous
I’ve been working,”  I told him that I’d been working.
2) To report speech, use He / She / I said (that) ...
 You can also use He / She told me (that)...; I told him / her (that)...
 
3) Don’t use quotation marks (“) when reporting speech.
4) References to times in the past also may need to change when using reported speech, if that time is no longer the same.
this morning / week / monththat morning / week / month
yesterdaythe previous day
last week / monththe previous week / month
agoearlier / previously
tomorrowthe following day
next week / monththe following week / month

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.