snow

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Alternative Comparative forms

Use and Form:

These structures can be used to compare two things. They are alternatives to the comparative form (-er / more ...).
1)            Some phrases can be used to show that two things are identical.
the same (noun) as           My pen is the same as yours.
    His house is the same size as ours.
This phrase can be used with quantifiers:  such as just, exactly, almost, and nearly.
Your bag is exactly the same as mine!

2)            Some phrases can be used to show that two things are the same or nearly the same.
as (adjective / adverb) as              My bag was as expensive as yours.
He runs as quickly as me.
This structure is often used in literature to make similes.
  She’s as quiet as a mouse today.              
You’re as pretty as a picture!
You can use quantifiers such as: just, almost, nearly with these phrases.
  He runs almost as fast as me.
Your bag was nearly as expensive as mine.
3)            Other phrases focus on differences.
different from      His results are a bit different from ours.
This phrase can be used with quantifiers, such as slightly, a bit and a little.
not as (adjective) as        Your jacket isn’t as new as mine.
(negative verb) as (adverb) as    He doesn’t work as hard as I do.
This structure be used with the quantifiers quite, half and nearly.
  My job isn’t half as interesting as yours.   
  He doesn’t play the piano nearly as well as his sister.
4)            When comparing adverbs and adjectives, we sometimes re-write the auxiliary verb at the end of the sentences. If there is not auxiliary, you can write do, does or did
Julia is just as sociable as Maria is.
You can’t run as fast as I can!
I didn’t sleep as well as I did on Sunday night.
Common Mistakes:
Some students try to use the –er / more comparative form to make negative comparisons. However, not as … as is more common.
  I’m not taller than you.   =>            I’m not as tall as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.